Friday, April 3, 2009

Best/Worst Day of Student Teaching


I woke up a little late this morning and not feeling well. I went downstairs and stepped in doggie pee-pee, Tia had an accident by the back door. I had no time to have breakfast and no time to make lunch so I ran out the door.

When I got to school, I realized that I had no pan for my cupcakes and no eggs for my recipe! AHH! I was panicking. I was able to borrow some eggs from another room (gave them cupcakes in return, which they loved!) and a pan from a different room. My lesson was fabulous! Then, it was lunch time for the kids... one of the kid's case managers came in during lunch time! Mayhem! I'll leave it at that.

After they ate, I went on my break and since I didn't bring, I had to go buy something... WELL... it was raining a little when I left, but once I got to the pizzeria, it was POURING. Lightning struck and the lights went out in the pizza shop! It was raining harder then before and I was SOAKED. I got to my car and dropped about 1/2 my soda on my shirt! I arrived back at school and entered the staff lounge- what a sight I must have been! I emptied my pockets and realized that there was no phone! NOOO! This time, I grabbed an umbrella and ran outside to find my phone in a little puddle beside my car. Ugh... at least it still works. I ran back inside and stepped in a puddle, wearing slip on shoes with no socks- EW!!!

I went back to the classroom all sweaty, sticky, wet and disgusting... the afternoon went by pretty smoothly. Kim told me that I didn't have to do an afternoon circle time, she just put a video on (which she never does) and we talked. This is where I had my "A-HA Moment..."

While talking to Kim, I realized that I belong in a private school, teaching students that are severe and profound. I think it's just what I was meant to do. She told me that she thought I would be great and could bring my creativity and my Holy Family education and be successful. She told me that new teachers have mentors, which was great to hear! I decided that I am going to Human Resources on Monday to apply! =) She also told me the names of some other local schools similar to where I am now... so I can apply there too... wish me luck! haha

Tonight was the induction ceremony for Kappa Delta Pi which is an honors society for education majors. My mom also attended the ceremony, which was really nice. I don't think that it has sunken in that I am graduating college- with honors!

Ok, I would go into greater detail, but I already wrote a book. I'm tired so I'm outta here! Goodnight!

3 comments:

  1. Well, you went from having a cwappy day to a marvelous evening, it was so nice to share it with you, you are the most special person I know, and I love you madly!!! I can't even believe I ever had a life without you! I am so proud to call you, daughter. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina;

    WHAT A DAY.. o-my-God... how did you recover from all of that.. You are marvelous. I think it was all happening so you'd be in the right place to perceive your 'A-HA' moment. It takes a special kind of person to work with the developmentally disabled, it's a challenge which can be difficult but rewarding, but you already know that. I wish you only the best of luck and success with your future.

    Love to you from your cousin.. DON

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like you had a very eventful day! you ROCK girl!!!! and i know how you are so HONORABLE!!! and a cutey-patootie too!!!

    ReplyDelete